- Georgias existence is under attack by an authoritarian and imperial Russia that has flouted international law by bombing the country, slaughtering civilians and occupying its territory. This is a situation that the West has encountered numerous times in the past in Czechoslovakia in 1938 and 1968, in Hungary in 1956 and in Afghanistan in 1979. We have seen the failure of appeasement before, and while international condemnations of Russia have proliferated, they will not prevent further dominoes from falling. Concrete actions must be taken.
If Russia fails to cooperate with calls for an immediate ceasefire and withdrawal of its troops from Georgia, we urge the United Nations, United States, European Union and NATO to consider taking the following actions to prevent further aggression and preserve global stability:
- Immediately Recall US Ambassador to Russia
- Grant Georgia MAP for NATO
- Remove Russia from the G-8
- Strip the 2014 Sochi Olympics from Russia
- Freeze Russian assets abroad
- Enact economic sanctions on Russia
- Continue to block Russian membership in the WTO
This is a decisive moment for the West and the world more broadly. The Georgian Association in the United States hopes that the global community clearly recognizes the danger to its stability that Russian actions present.
Georgian Association in the United States of America, Inc.